Wednesday, July 30, 2008

A reason, a season or a lifetime

You know the old cliché. You probably heard it a hundred times before… but it’s more of an email adage I think. But, it got me thinking about my friendships.

I’ve had a range of diverse friends. Each dynamic in their own ways, displaying colourful assortments of cultures, religions and beliefs. I admire each of them just as they are. Each adds to my life in their own unique ways and each brings to me a kind of harmony I can find with no other. They are truly individualistic in its complete and pure sense. I can’t stress this enough.

But, what is it about friends hey? About life? What are they meant to teach us? And, why do they go so soon? I’ve had some brilliant, telepathic and even spiritual friendships… the kind where you can actually physically feel your soul being connected. The kind that warms every vessel within. The kind you could never replace.

Sad, but true. Friendships come and go. For the moment when they are there, accept, appreciate, adorn and treasure. Cache it, dig deep to find the lessons they’re meant to teach, the opportunities they bring and the euphoria experienced can never be substituted. That’s it about friends, some come and go forever. Some come and stay for a while. And, some come and never ever go.

Today, I thought about those souls (friends) that have touched my heart. Some ebbing in the distance. Some gone to bring blessings to others. And some still shining as bright as ever. I’d like to thank those, who have played instrumental roles in certain chapters of my life. Who made those moments memorable and lasting and who without them the memory would never have existed. Thank you. Shukran. And, to those who still brings smiles to my heart… I thank you. And, here’s wishing to many more beautiful chapters transpiring into a novel experienced in every facet of life; its pain and joy, tears and laughter and the process of building memories that will light up the sky on a dreary dark winter’s night.

As hard as it is to believe and accept that someone’s time in your life is over, I suppose it’s easier to believe that they’ve moved on to bring happiness and memories to other souls in the Universe. That’s a nice thought. ‘Cause you see in life, you can’t have one without the other. Sadness comes with happiness. I’m truly blessed.

2 comments:

Shahieda said...

WOW!! What a beautiful post!! I think the most difficult thing is to let go of a friend, especially if they had a profound impact on you as a person!! But then again, there's always a lesson to be learnt, no matter how hard!!

Hang onto those memories love, they will be with you always!!

Zenobia said...

I certainly enjoyed reading this particular post. We've been friends for many years, from Jo'burg to Cape Town and even afar you still manage to capture me with your radiance and ambiance - its an elegant character you possess. Thank you for the smiles you bring to my face even though years and years go by without us even sharing a glimpse of each other. Words elude me when I try justifying how we've manage to stay in contact. Pages upon pages fill my childhood collection of letters and photos, the telling of tales and the raucous laughs , the tears and the jokes and the smiles and all the precious memories that lie in my diary and in my heart. Forever and ever grateful... Zenobia