Monday, July 7, 2008

Smooches Fashion Show

Saturday was just crazy… I was up as early as 07:30, met my fiancé, Raafiek and we were out and about preparing some things for our future and then we got the final nibbles we were to have later with the models and their partners.

Around 4 everyone arrived… the ladies set out to get dressed and do make-up and hair… while the guys (get this!) prepared supper for us all. We didn’t have anything fancy, just hotdogs, but boy was it delicious! Thanks guys! I had approximately 15 ladies modeling the dresses I either made for them in the past or some of my own supplies. It was quite a rushed afternoon for me and by show time I was exhausted. But, I comforted myself with knowing it was just a few more minutes to go. Anyhoo, it was 15 minutes before stage time, so we rushed the whole entourage to the hall. We got there just in time to brief everyone. Gosh, most of them were so nervous, but I think they did pretty well. It turned out lovely and thank you ladies for all your help! I certainly could never do it without you… and of course, thanks to Steve, who made a wonderful MC for the show.


With everyone looking fabulous, we wanted to go out and party, but I think we were all bushed at that time and settled for chilling at my place. We lazed around for a bit… and later around 11:30pm got some pizza’s. Then we just chilled and chatted. Was some good social time. We watched the video of the fashion show, checked out the pictures and also watched the picture slide of the engagement. It was fun, but by now it was 01:30am… and the sleepy bug was certainly starting to settle in.

Raafiek and I dropped Shahieda and her kids at home… the drive was nice. We were all sitting very cosily, listening to soft relaxing music while driving in the rain. Shahieda, Aqeedah, Uthmaan and Imtiaaz at the back, myself with Ghaalietha strapped in on the front seat, and Raafiek driving. I turned to the back and peaked at my cousin Shahieda, and then… I couldn’t help but wonder…


My wonderment led me to Sunday afternoon… when I finally got a chance to voice and analyse my feelings. Raafiek had prepared us some of Shahieda’s delicious chocolate mousse cake. He laid it out so beautifully and definitely appetisingly! Around the scrumptious mousse cake was a huge dollop of fresh cream. (Hmmm… yummy! My favourite!)… and around the entire plate he laid strawberries with little dollops of cream separating them. I couldn’t wait to indulge myself. And with that, he made some coffee… also with fresh cream. We relaxed and got into speaking… and somehow Shahieda’s name came up again… no doubt it must’ve been with reference to the delicious cake we were munching on!


I started speaking… Shahieda has been very instrumental in my life… and partly so because of her experiences, what life has dished her and how she has beautifully transformed into the amazing woman she is today! One of not only physical beauty, but of spiritual and inner beauty as well. I watch her as she manages her three children, all on her own, with no help from anyone. One has to smile at such strength, dignity and grace. She has come such a long way and has bloomed into such a beautiful flower. She has endured the worst of situations and as I thought about what’s she’s been through, I couldn’t help but shed some tears. By now, Raafiek is highly confused as to why I was suddenly crying. But, he stood by and comforted me and I spoke my heart. And yes, they were tears of sadness for the hurt she had and has to bear, even now sometimes. And, they were also tears of utter amazement! How a women could turn a situation filled with hurt, negativity and ungratefulness into something that now I’m so proud of as she outshines all of those bad memories and lives a life filled with only promise, hope and gratitude!


She has truly enriched my life with her experiences, thoughts and advice. I can’t see my life without her and I thank Allah each and every day for placing someone of her calibre in my path as she serves as a constant reminder to make the most of every situation and to be thankful for what I have. I wish her every success in life and may Allah Almighty ensure that all her biggest dreams and heart’s desires are only a step away! Because, without a doubt, she deserves it!

1 comment:

Shahieda said...

WOW!! I am utterly speechless right now!! My intention has always been that whomever has crossed my path will learn from my experiences. That has always been dear to my heart.

You have been such an instrumental part of my life too, that i wonder how I would have managed without you!! I still recall the pic you drew for me at the age of about 6, it was of Casper the friendly ghost and it's title was "to my bestest cousin in the whole world"

I treasure that memory immensely and I know i have that pic at home somewhere!!

love you lots like jelly tots!!