Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Matric '98 Reunion

Jeez… this must’ve been the craziest weekend of my life! On Friday evening, Raafiek and I went to Canal Walk to pay accounts, buy a baby present for Marildiya’s little boy’s name-giving as well as a wedding present for Khaalid & Shireen’s wedding! Alas, this was taking place all on one day (Saturday)… plus to top things off… it was my matric reunion as well.

So, up I was early Saturday morning. It was to be a crazy day ahead. Hair salon at 09:00, Rashmi at 10:15, other appointments in between, Marildiya’s baby’s name-giving at 12:00, had lunch there… then rushed to get some pantihose (lol!)… hurried home to finish the Powerpoint Presentation of our Matric year which was to be viewed the evening, Rayanah fetched it at 15:40. I got dressed in another hurry… then we were off to Khaalid’s wedding at 16:00.

Was such a lovely occasion and Raafiek looked oh so nice cladded in black and white.


Thereafter, we popped in at my house, greeted my parents, popped in by his mom, greeted her and then we were off to My Matric ’98 Reunion.


The function was held at The Ritz Hotel in Seapoint, one of the hotel’s main attractions is its revolving restaurant. Our function was held in one of the conference rooms, it was beautifully decorated with rose centerpieces, white linen and little memento’s too.


The reunion was a blast and certainly the highlight of my day! Finally I could let my hair down, relax and just be at peace. I had so much fun! It was so great to see everyone after 10 years.




Marilyn, who was always the life of the class… was there and lifted the spirits of everyone with her often crazy and bubbly personality. She was in my class since Standard 6… so we’ve come a long way! Pity we lost touch once we entered the big world hey… but like I said in a previous blog: A reason, a season or a lifetime, that’s life hey. But, we in touch again... so that's all that matters.


Ruwayda was there too… and Marilyn made the comment of us always being side by side in every single picture… and that’s exactly how we still are… after 14 years of friendship. We met in Standard 7 and remained in contact throughout. From 1995 a beautiful bond was formed and all through the years we’ve nurtured it, loved it and been there for each other through all of life’s blessings and trials. And, today we stand by each other, not regretting one single thing.

10 years ago back in 1998.



This is us in 2008.



Mr Rezandt was there, he gave the opening speech and afforded us a trip down memory lane… now that’s a story for you. He was my class teacher in Matric… and I certainly had my moments with him. Never appreciated him much at school… but as I entered the working world, I realised how big a part he had played in my life and how thankful I now am for what he taught me… and the times he drove me completely crazy was really a blessing in disguise. Funny how life works hey… only after do we see the method in the madness.


Ms De Waal… oh how thankful I am that she was there. She was my typing teacher. I remember her standing behind me in class while I typed and once my hands got a bit lazy, slouching over the keyboard, she would hit my fingers with a ruler! Ouch! That hurt! But, I remember it. She also wore this very distinctive perfume… Angel by Thierry Mugler… ooh now that stuck! Whenever I smelt it thereafter, I couldn’t help but think of her. My fondest memory was when I was late for class and she knew it, so she locked me out. LOL! I wasn’t bothered, gave me an opportunity to rest, but I ended up in the Woodwork room with the boys. Also, who could forget when I made up my own concoction of ‘lip stuff’ (Vaseline & red food colouring) and just before we entered the class, I put some on… then I offered each and every single girl some and they all obliged. When we got into the class, by this time, everyone had ‘rooi lippies’ and looked like little made-up dolls – she wasn’t impressed. When asked why all their lips were red, everyone answered: “Shaheema”. Oooh I was in for something… that was a story in itself. Oh… and I never forgot to say thank you to her for instilling in me my typing skills, something very valuable to me today.


We enjoyed a three course meal, by this time I was so full I could barely move… but I didn’t let the night go by without kicking my shoes aside and dancing the life out of me! I thoroughly enjoyed it and the aura around was filled with nostalgic memories, lots of laughter and great company. What better way to reminisce!

2 comments:

Shahieda said...

You certainly had a lot of fun!! It's really great being able to look back on school life with such fond memories!! It certainly were the best years of my life!!

Shaheema said...

That's where i think you wrong couz... YOUR BEST DAYS ARE YET TO COME!!!

Love, Shaheema
xxx