Friday, August 8, 2008

I’m thinking of you…

It took me a long time to sort out my thoughts, well, honestly, I still haven’t. So, I figured I’ll just get them out. Hence, today, I’d like to blog about a very special woman in my life… Raafiek’s mother, Aunty Safura.


I only know her for just over a year… and she has made an instrumental impact in my life. Firstly, she accepted me just as I am, no idealizations, no special requests, no “if only’s” or “I’d like you to’s”… just me… unconditionally.


She is such a strong woman, who has endured so much, yet she stands there oozing the greatest of confidence and zest for life. She is so beautiful to me. In many ways, she’s like a friend… one I just can’t see living without.


On my first visit to their home, it was a Sunday afternoon and I was invited for lunch. I was graced with the presence of his beautiful mother, siblings Lemeez and Zane and their significant others as well as Shireen and Samir (Raafiek’s cousin and friend respectively). Aunty Safura had made some creamy butternut soup (or was it prawn noodles? Hmmm… my memory deceives me) for starters and yummy chicken curry with roti as the main course… I thoroughly enjoyed it! I brought the desert – chocolate cake with fresh cream. My first thought of her – she cares so deeply for her children – firstly to have gone out of her way like that for her son, Raafiek; secondly: the way she interacted with everyone present; and thirdly: how comfortable she made me feel.


Over the years we built a friendship built on acceptance, love, trust and pure spirit. In many ways we are so alike… sort of shared the same experiences but on different scales. It was easy to open up to her, to share my thoughts. I value her opinion as she does everything with the purest of intentions always striving for the best outcome.


I can’t really explain my connection to her… it's something far more spiritual. Something I sometimes don’t understand, but now having experienced it, know it’s something I’d never want to live without. I care very deeply for her and always do my bit in keeping her happy and smiling… as she deserves to feel nothing less. I feel so blessed to have the honour of being part of their family.


Today, she’s not doing too well and is in hospital. Please spare a thought and dua for someone who deserves the very best in life, who has lots of love to give, who is a pleasure and my treasure and someone who without a doubt is truly loved. Please keep her in your prays and dua’s that she may have a speedy recovery and return to the family soon, so she may see and experience the joy of her two sons get married next year… and to be the epitome of support to her daughter, who still needs her so much.


Aunty Safura, I wish you all of life’s best. May Allah grant you strength, guidance and good health so you may emerge with renewed passion for life and ready to make your dreams and desires a reality… something only you can do! I love you and long to share my life with you again!

2 comments:

Shahieda said...

Complete acceptance is everyone's longing and when we receive that it's bliss!!

May Allah make Aunty Safura's recovery a speedy one Insha-Allah Ameen!!

Shaheema said...

Shukran Shahieda!

Your dua is greatly appreciated!
Much love, Shaheema xxx