Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Confirming our marriage plans with the Imaam

So, the date has been set for 11 October 2009. On calling Sheikh Abduragmaan Alexander to confirm that he would perform the nikaah for us, he requested a meeting with my parents and Raafiek’s parents.

Oi! I must say I was quite nervous. But, looked forward to it as well. The evening dawned beautiful, and instead of butterflies floating around Earth, I was convinced all resided in my tummy!

We entered Masjidul Quds… the masjied Raafiek and I have chosen for our Nikaah to take place. The masjied is huge and so beautiful. It is also the official host of all the all-night programmes on Laylatul Qadr.

We arrived at 19:00 just in time for our meeting… my parents were waiting for myself, Raafiek and his Mom. We sat down and started to chat. Funny how we wanted Sheikh Abduragmaan Alexander, Imaam of the Bridgetown Masjied to perform our ceremony at Masjidul Quds in Gatesville… he informed us that he had since moved to Masjidul Quds and was now the Principal and Imaam of that masjied for just a week at the time. Ah, destiny, you gotta love it.

The meeting went off well.. he took our details and ID numbers to complete onto the Marriage Certificate which will only be signed on the wedding day. He then asked me a question: “Shaheema, are you sure you want to get married?” I felt the tears well up in my eyes, “Yes, I’m sure,” I answered. He had to ask this in front of everyone to ensure that i was accepting Raafiek's proposal out of my own free will.

With everything set for the date, the Imaam and Masjied confirmed… we were on our way. The athaan for Eshaa just started so we decided to stay for salaah. After performing the sunnah for Eshaa and the two raka-aats to greet the masjied, we waited to perform salaah in Jamaah. I couldn’t resist taking a picture.


I left feeling fulfilled and blessed. May Allah forever guide me, my family and my new family to be, Insha-Allah, Ameen!

1 comment:

Shahieda said...

OOOOHHHHH, I'm so excited!! Time is drawing near and the day you've been waiting for all your life will soon be here. I can't wait to share in the memories with you!!

May Allah guide both of you to fulfill your obligations as husband & wife Insha-Allah Ameen!!