Monday, October 20, 2008

The harsh reality

Over the weekend I was confronted with some real hard-hitting issues. I watched two movies based on real-life events, and to say it left me feeling a bit uncomfortable is a blatant understatement.

The one was titled United 93 based on Flight 93, a hijacked plane on 9/11. To watch the utter and terrifying horror that those 44 passengers were forced to succumb to, left an emptiness in my heart. One that will never be filled. It really opened my eyes to the unacceptable magnitude of violence in this lifetime. While, this may just have been a composition of what the unfortunate passengers experienced, I shudder to think what the reality was like.

I guess sometimes, as it tends to happen far away, we don’t really immerse ourselves in the situation to get the true magnitude of the emotion involved. I for one just hear it and shun it.

I must admit - I live a very sheltered life in my mind… very oblivious to my surroundings. Perhaps, for my own sanity. Perhaps this is how I deal with things I know I have no power to change. I just cannot stand the thought of seeing another in pain… let alone be the one inflicting it. I cannot deal with some of life’s realities, the mindless killings, the little left un-parented and absent to wonder about, the poor who have no home to go to or shelter and I am left to wonder… how do they still make it through?

I shudder to think of myself, what thoughts would be going through my mind, as I know death awaits me and my departure from the ones I love so dearly! Unfathomable right now… perhaps always.

I was so taken aback by the film, that later that evening when my mom came to greet me while I was sleeping… I jumped up in anguish as I feared what was before me. My mom hurriedly had to compose me and assure me it was only her who wanted to kiss my cheek. Even now, I consider myself lucky to have this sentiment; most aren’t able to still have their very treasured loved ones near. Shukran Allah!

The other movie who my brother recommended was An American Crime based on a brutal crime committed in 1966. To begin to even comprehend how someone can willfully cause pain to someone else, and that - someone of age to a minor, I’ll never understand. Some of the scenes were so offensive and grotesque that I was left curled up on the couch biting my fingers.

I pray that God instills in us a better understanding so that we will remain sane and make good choices for the future – choices that benefit all inhabitants on this borrowed time on Earth!

May Allah be with us!

1 comment:

Shahieda said...

Strange enough but these were the exact thoughts running through my mind over the weekend!! Been reading 2 books concurrently and it's sad that humans have to go the violent route!!

But ultimately it is a choice each person makes and a choice that has consequences. May Allah protect us into making good sound choices that would benefit humanity on the whole Insha-Allah Ameen!!